Need a document commissioned? Please email [email protected] or call (807) 868-2020 x 0 to make arrangements for an appointment. 

Commissioner Oaths and Affidavits

The Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act empowers Municipal Clerks and other officials to take various types of declarations, to certify documents and to administer oaths. A Commissioner’s stamp is affixed to the document once the oath has been taken and signatures have been witnessed.

What types of affidavits can be signed?

Affidavits that relate to work or matters not done in connection with the business of the municipality may be signed by the Commissioner of Oaths. These affidavits can include but are not limited to: Vehicle transfer forms – Pensions forms – Any government related forms – Change of ownership forms – Financial institution forms. Clarification on the type of affidavits that will be signed can be directed to the Municipal Clerk, Gail Jaremy at (807) 868-2020 x 205 or [email protected]

Will an interpreter be provided if needed?

No – The Municipality does not provide interpreters. All documents must be in English in order to be commissioned.

What do I need to bring?

The person swearing or affirming to a document must appear before the Commissioner of Oaths. Proper identification (photo ID) such as a valid driver’s license, current passport or any other government issued photo identification must be presented as well as the completed affidavit with the exception of the signature. The signing of the affidavit must be completed in the presence of the Commissioner.

When is this service available?

This service is available by appointment only. Please email [email protected] or call (8070 868-2020 x 0 to make arrangements for an appointment. 

Where do I go if I require a Notary Public?

The Municipality cannot notarize documents. A list of Notary Publics and lawyers who notarize documents can be found in the local phone directory or online search engine. 

What service is not provided?

The Municipal Office does not prepare or edit affidavits nor provide legal advice. Any questions or assistance required in completing the affidavit document should be directed to the agency or party that has requested the form. The Commissioner for Taking Affidavits cannot counsel or assist a person with completing the affidavit document. The Municipal Office does not provide or supply blank affidavit forms nor will such affidavit forms be sworn by staff. All affidavit forms being presented for signing must be completed prior to presentation for commissioning excluding the signature of the applicant.

Website by CivicLive. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.