Garbage and Recycling>
The Township of Hornepayne, and our landfill contractor Hornepayne Service Centre, service the community with weekly curbside garbage collection and landfill site operation.
The Township does not offer a recycling program, however we do have a drop box for batteries through the Call to Recycle program at the town hall. You may also recycle your electronics and usable items at the Share Shack located at the landfill site.
Our Garbage Collection By-law outlines the collection, removal and disposal of garbage and other refuse within the Township. View the by-law to learn more about:
- Collectible and non-collectible waste
- Garbage bags and containers (receptacles)
- Preparing garbage for collection
- General garbage nuisance
- Disposing of non-collectible waste
- Landfill tipping fees
We collect regular household waste through curbside collection every Tuesday. There is a weekly limit of four garbage bags per household at no cost and you must place your garbage receptacles at the end of your driveway. Have your garbage placed for collection by 7 a.m. on collection day.
All garbage, except ashes (solid residue of any fuel for heating, cooking and chimney cleaning), must be placed in plastic bags no larger than 36 inches by 24 inches and properly tied at the top.
You must place the bags in covered metal, plastic, wood or durable containers with proper handles and a water-tight cover, which prevents flies and odours. The containers must be no larger than 36 inches in height or 18 inches in diameter and weigh no more than 50 pounds.
We do not collect the following items:
- Any material which has become frozen to the receptacle and cannot be removed by shaking
- Bandages, poultices, dressings and other such waste
- Broken plaster, lumber or other waste resulting from the construction, alteration, repair, demolition or removal of any building or structure
- Carcass of any animal
- Celluloid cuttings, moving-picture film, oil-soaked or gasoline-soaked absorbent material and any explosive or highly combustible material of any nature
- Derelict vehicles or parts
- Hay, straw and manure
- Hazardous waste
- Liquid waste
- Live animals or birds
- Manufactured waste, including wire
- Motor vehicle tires
- Night soil
- Sawdust and wood shavings
- Stock of any wholesaler which is regarded as manufactured waste
- Swill or other organic matter not properly drained or wrapped
- Tree branches, roots or stumps
- White goods, including stoves, refrigerators, hot water heaters, et
We do not accept household hazardous waste (paint, oil, spray cans, propane tanks, etc.) through weekly garbage collection. Please store this material safely at home until our Hazardous Waste Day in October of each year. Watch our news and notices for updates on the next Hazardous Waste Day.
We operate a municipal landfill transfer station on Becker Road, just past the cemetery. You can deposit waste at the landfill by paying an associated landfill tipping fee charge. You must check in with the landfill attendant before dumping.
- Mondays - Closed
- Tuesdays - 12 p.m. (noon) to 5 p.m. curbside pick up
- Wednesdays - Closed
- Thursdays to Sundays - 12 p.m. (noon) to 5 p.m.
The landfill site is closed on statutory holidays.
- Household waste (pick-up truck maximum size) - $20 per load
- Household waste (larger than pick-up truck maximum size) - $50 per load
- Household waste (trailer pulled by car) - $50 per load
- Household waste (semi dump trailer) - $350
- Commercial non-hazardous waste (truck per cubic yard - taken by owner) - $10 per yard
- Commercial non-hazardous waste (picked up by landfill contractor or private contractor) - Rate to be negotiated between contractor and owner
- Commercial non-hazardous waste (semi dump trailer) - $350
- White goods (must be tagged) - $10 per unit
- Tires (does not include rims) - No charge per unit
- Batteries (automobile) - $10 per unit
- Demolition (includes disposal and burial) - $2,000
Share Shack (items with useful life)
Learn more about the Share Shack located at the landfill site. It is a designated area for items that still have useful life left and which could be useful to others.
Waste Management Committee
The Waste Management Committee reviews and makes recommendations regarding the current and future state of waste management in the Township of Hornepayne. The committee promotes recycling efforts and other ways to extend the life of the landfill site.
For questions or concerns with garbage collection and the township landfill transfer station, please report your concern online or contact us at:
Steve Renaud, Landfill Operator
Landfill phone: 807-868-9942
Main phone: 807-868-2638
Public Works Manager
Township of Hornepayne
68 Front Street
P.O. Box 370
Hornepayne, ON P0M 1Z0
Ph: (807) 868-2020
Fax: (807) 868-2787