Marriage Licences

Congratulations on your engagement! Couples who want to get married in Ontario need a valid marriage licence. Learn how to get a marriage licence in the Township of Hornepayne.

Apply for a marriage licence

You require an appointment when applying for a marriage licence. Call us at 807-868-2020 x0 or email to book your appointment

Required identification, documents and fee

When you apply for a marriage licence, we will ask you to bring in:

  • A completed marriage licence application form
  • A licence fee of $153 (tax included)
  • Two pieces of government-issued ID for each person getting married. One piece of ID must have your photo

Each person applying for the marriage licence must bring 2 pieces of original and current government issued identification (ID) from this list:

• Two pieces of Identification must provide your legal name and date of birth.
• Your first and last names must match on the two pieces of ID that are presented.
• To have your middle name(s) included on your marriage licence it must also appear on both pieces of ID.
• At least one piece of identification must include a current photo and signature.
• Identification must be valid and original. We will not accept photocopies, or scanned images/documents.
• ID on the list can be from any country, as long as it is government issued.
• If the ID is not in English, a written translation from a certified translator is required.
• Health Cards and S.I.N. cards will not be accepted. 
• Expired identification will not be accepted. 

• Birth Certificate
• Passport
• Driver’s Licence
• Ontario Photo ID Card (Purple photo ID card)
• Native Status Card
• Certificate of Canadian Citizenship
• Canadian Citizenship Card (only if accompanied by current government issued Photo ID)
• Canadian Government Refugee Documents
• Record of Immigrant Landing
• Permanent Residency Card
• Confirmation of Permanent Residency
• Citizenship Card from another Country (only if accompanied by current government issued Photo ID)
• Identity Card from another Country
• Nexus Card
• Firearms/Possession Licence
• Canadian Armed Forces Identification

You need to be at least 16 years old to get married in Ontario. If you are under 18, you will need written consent from your parents or guardians. Your parents or guardians will also need to be present when you submit your marriage licence application. Contact us at 807-868-2020 x 0 or for more information. 

You must submit official proof of the divorce when you apply for a marriage licence. This can be the original or a court-certified copy of a:

  • Certificate of divorce
  • Final decree

All documents will be returned. A certified copy of either of the above divorce documents may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce.

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to obtain a Foreign Divorce Authorization from the Province of Ontario, Office of the Registrar General.

Marriage Office
PO Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay ON  P7B 6L8

You will need to send the following to the address above:

  • Completed and signed marriage licence application
  • Statement of sole responsibility
  • Legal opinion letter: from an Ontario lawyer
  • Original or court-certified copy of the divorce decree or annulment in English or French. If the document is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator.

For more information or forms including a sample legal opinion letter please visit the ServiceOntario website.

Once you have received your Foreign Divorce Authorization from the Office of the Registrar General you can make an appointment for a marriage licence.

If you arrive for your appointment without a Foreign Divorce Authorization your marriage licence cannot be issued.

For more information, contact the Office of the Registrar General Marriage Office at 1-800-461-2156 (toll-free) or visit Service Ontario.

Licence expiry

A marriage licence is valid for three months from the date it was issued.

Marriage certificates

You can get your marriage certificate from Service Ontario about 12 weeks after your ceremony. The document you receive at the ceremony is your Record of Solemnization of Marriage. It includes the couple's names, date of marriage and names of your witnesses, but it is not a marriage certificate or legal record.

Civil marriage

The Township is currently not offering this service. 

Contact Us

If you have any questions about marriage licences, please contact us at: 
Phone: 807-868-2020 x0

Scroll to top